Thursday, June 18, 2009

No, I'm not dead or in a coma...

So what, you might ask, have I been doin' all this time since I obviously have not been bloggin'. Well, the answer is that my health problems worsened for quite some time and I have been tryin' to get to feelin' better. I was diagnosed almost 6 months ago with fibromyalgia...on top of the multiple sclerosis I already have. It's the fibromyalgia that has been kickin' my be-hind!! I have also been havin' some problems with my new neurologist and am thinkin' about changin' docs. Add to that, trouble gettin' Medicaid to pay for some of the meds and you can see why I just haven't had the energy to blog. However...things began to look up a short while ago and I am beginnnin' to want to focus on some of the things I've been meanin' to do. Like blog. And, work with the clay again...it's been about 9 months since I've felt like workin' with it and I'm findin' it difficult to get back into.

Also, Sebe (my son) has left home and gone to live with Cally (my brother) in Corinth, Ms. That is in the hills and his asthma is so much better there. He's actually able to run outside there...somethin' he's never been able to do much of here. He's also plannin' to attend college! He's to start slow with a couple of classes beginnin' in July and go from there!! I can't begin to tell you how proud of him I am!! It's not been easy for him...he had to drop out of high school at the beginnin' of the 11th grade due to health problems. He had missed 30 days or more ever
y year but one up to that time, includin' the last 2 months of the 10th grade and when he had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks after the first week of the 11th grade, it was decided that he was just too far behind to continue. At the time I thought it was the best thing for him but I failed to understand that it might made him feel like a failure, and it did. He is on disability and really could just coast thru life on what he gets from the government...and he did this for a few years...but eventually he decided that wasn't enough for him and he got his GED and studied for almost a year on his own before takin' his ACT. It's an adjustment for me and Nanie and Pop with him gone, but we are all so proud of him and happy that he's workin' toward achievin' his goals!!

I have started a couple of endeavors with differin' amounts of success. The first is the harmonica! I had more than one reason for wantin' to learn...the first is th
at I'd love to be able to play with Sebe while he's playin' his guitar! Then, I also think it will be good for my breathin'...it takes a lot of breath control. I can play Oh When The Saints Go Marching In v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y and that's about it so far. But I've got an instruction book and a cd and I'm pretty determined to learn. I'll let y'all know how it goes! ;o)


Nanie and Pop and I also started to learn some sign language. Some of Nanie's family are deaf and she's always wanted to be able to sign with them. Her dad knew how but never taught her. We began by learnin' one thing a night...so far, we can sign "Hello. My name is ________. What is your name? How are you?" We've been extremely lax lately but I'm hopin' we'll pick it back up
!

The other thing I've been workin' on is my garden/bird sanctuary in the back yard. My computer is set up by french doors that look right out onto this area and I wanted to be able to take photos of birds close up, so Nanie (my mom) and Pop (my dad) and I built a platform feeder right outside the doors. I recently was given a lot of planters and decided to start a container garden. I have more than 15 potted plants out there includin' 2 tomatoes. I've already gotten a couple of small tomatoes and they taste sooooo good!! All acid-y like they used to taste...like sunshine in your mouth!! I could eat them with cottage cheese every day if I could grow enough! I'm really enjoyin' this space and I water every day so get a bit of exercise that way...speakin' of which, today is fertilizer day. Guess I better go get busy! BTW, if any of y'all wanna see photos of the birds that I've attracted there or the flowers, go here. If you do, please leave me a comment or two so I'll know what you think!!

'Til next time...and I promise I'll try to write much more often...y'all keep smilin' and try to get outside and enjoy the beauty all 'round!! Smoooooches and hugs!!


4 comments:

Roland said...

I'm so sorry about your health issues. I understand the stress and frustration around that. It has helped us a lot once we went to a naturopathic MD. I've 5 kids and know exactly what you went through with your son, but it's going the right direction!! Keep on focusing on the good things in life, like pictures, music etc...
Roland (spirited_robe)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mel
I enjoyed your blog entry very much. It's so good to hear about your life. I miss you so much.
Your garden is so beautiful! I tried working outside some today, but it was so hot (96F).
I am one of 4 people, a "team", who are going to compete in a sheep-to-shawl contest at the State Fair in September. It will be a new experience for me.
I am all set up to go to the Buster Keaton Convention in October. I am making some hats and dresses (1928 and 1933 styles). I hope they turn out ok.
Stay in touch!
Love, Connie

Unknown said...

Hey Mel! How great to hear from you and find out what you've been up to and to hear Seb is doin so well.
The only thing wrong with your blog is that I didn't see any pictures of your work! Do you still clay? I haven't in a while, I got into paper mache and then needle sculpting and then making period hats. Hats from the 1800's mostly. Sigh, there is just never enough time to make all the things I want to do.
Big hugs to you girl.

Donna

argon(one) said...

Mel, it's great to "hear" your voice again on the blog. You have had great quite a time the past few months, and I am so glad you are doing better. We think about you and Sebe quite often and we too are very proud of Sebe's accomplishments. He's a terrific friend [you both are] and it's always great to hear what's going on in your life. BTW. I'm lovin' your photostream. You have taken some fantastic pictures. Thanks for dropping by mine so often... and leaving commnets. I value your opinions very much. Take care.

Mike