Sunday, February 1, 2009

Some things I've done and many things I haven't

I was at a friends blog, Argon One, and he had a list of questions that someone had sent to him and he wanted anyone interested to answer and post to their own blog. This ought to be really interesting since I have the most abysmal memory. Well, here goes!

01. Start your own blog -- Yes
02. Sleep under the stars -- Well, if this means have I camped then, yes, many times with my family. If it means sleeping without a roof over my head, I'm not sure. The memory thing, you understand. Not that I can recall.
03. Play in a band -- No, but I am teaching myself to play the harmonica...AKA harp, to those of us in the know. HA!...so, if you're in the market for a geriactric harp player for your band, give me a holla in about 10 years. I figure I might be somewhat proficient by then...as for now, I can play when the saints go marching in very slowly.
04. Visit Hawaii -- Nope
05. Watch a meteor shower -- Um, not that I can recall.
06. Give more than you can afford to charity -- Any time I give to charity, it's more than I can afford. :o)
07. Go to Disneyworld -- Yes
08. Climb a mountain -- OMgoodness, No!! I can barely climb the stairs!!
09. Hold a praying mantis -- No, but I've taken a picture of one from this far away. *holds fingers about a half inch apart*
10. Sing a solo -- Oh, no, and I never will!! Everybody can relax now.
11. Bungee jump -- Heck, no...I'm not a complete idiot! Apologies to all you idi...um...folks out there who have. Actually, I'm just kidding about the idiot part...I am not and never was that recklessly brave!
12. Visit Paris -- Nope
13. Watch a lightning storm at sea -- Nope. That one was easy since I've never been at sea!
14. Teach yourself an art technique -- Yessiree, bob!
15. Adopt a child -- Nope
16. Eat sushi -- Nope...Sebe keeps trying and I keep resisting...er, make that, contemplating it.
17. Walk to the top of the Statue of Liberty -- Nope
18. Grow your own vegetables -- Yep with very little success. My tomatoes are legendary for their small size!! It's very sad. *sniff*
19. See the Mona Lisa in France -- Nope
20. Sleep on an overnight train -- Nope
21. Have a pillow fight -- More than likely...I was young once and I had a rambunctious younger brother so it's definitely probable. I kinda like that...definitely probable.
22. Hitch hike -- Nope, too smart for that! Ha! More likely, too afraid!!
23. Look at the rings of Saturn through a telescope -- Nope
24. Build a snow fort -- Nope, I live in Mississippi, people!
25. Hold a lamb -- Nope, but I'm pretty sure I'd like to. Even more than that, I'd love to hold a baby pig!!!
26. Climb to the top of a lighthouse -- Nope
27. Run a Marathon -- Nope
28. Ride in a gondola in Venice -- Nope
29. See a total eclipse -- I think so
30. Watch a sunrise or sunset -- Sunset, yes...sunrise, doubtful!!
31. Hit a home run -- Nope
32. Go on a cruise -- Nope
33. See Niagara Falls in person -- Nope
34. Visit the birthplace of your ancestors -- Nope...don't even know where that would be.
35. Visit an Amish community -- Nope
36. Teach yourself a new language -- Not yet but I have a pc program to learn sign language
37. Have enough money to be truly satisfied -- Nope, but I'm pretty much satisfied anyway. Not that I wouldn't like to have bookoodles of money...I would...but it'll probably never happen so......
38. See the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person -- Nope
39. Go rock climbing -- Nope, I am afraid of heights!!
40. See Michelangelo's David -- Nope
41. Sing karaoke in public -- Nope and, again, I never will!! And, that's a promise.
42. See Old Faithful geyser erupt in person -- Nope...I think it should be obvious by now that I'm not much of a traveler.
43. Buy a stranger a meal at a restaurant -- Not that I can recall but I'd like to. I'm a little nervous of strangers...
44. Visit Africa -- Nope
45. Walk on a beach by moonlight -- Surely I have? If not, I'd like to.
46. Ride in a helicopter -- Yes, yes I have!!
47. Have your portrait painted -- Yes and I didn't enjoy it at all.
48. Go deep sea fishing -- Nope
49. See the Sistine Chapel in person -- Nope
50. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris -- Nope
51. Go scuba diving or snorkeling -- Nope
52. Kiss in the rain -- I'd like to think so. It's sad if I did and can't remember it but it's kinda the story of my life. Now, don't get all teary, it's not that big a deal!
53. Play in the mud -- Most assuredly!
54. Watch a movie at a drive-in theater -- Yep
55. Be in a movie -- Nope but I did star in my Senior play...does that count?
56. Visit the Great Wall of China -- Nope
57. Start a business -- Well, yeah
58. Take a martial arts class -- Started to say nope and then I recalled that I signed up for one in college and attended at least one class before dropping it. Bad Mel!
59. Visit Russia -- Nope
60. Serve meals at a soup kitchen -- Nope
61. Sell Girl Scout cookies -- Yes, I was a real Girl Scout
62. Go whale watching -- Nope =(
63. Get or send flowers for no reason -- Probably. This is what I know I have done...picked flowers for someone for no particular reason except that I knew they would make the person happy!
64. Donate blood, platelets or plasma -- Nope, too many meds in my blood
65. Go sky diving -- Nope but my brother has. I rest my case about idiots doing this kinda thing! Hahahaha! Aww, just kidding, Cally! I'd never have the guts to do that!!
66. Visit a Nazi Concentration Camp -- No
67. Adopt a pet from a rescue shelter -- Yes, many! I recommend it!
68. Pilot an airplane -- No, I don't think anyone would want that!!
69. Save a favorite childhood toy -- I don't think I actually saved any...my mother gave all my trolls away!...but I started collecting trolls several years ago and now have over 5000!
70. Visit the Lincoln Memorial -- Nope
71. Eat Caviar -- Nope...ewww, fish eggs!!!
72. Make a quilt -- Nope
73. Stand in Times Square -- Nope
74. Tour the Everglades -- Nope
75. Visit the Viet Nam Memorial -- Nope
76. See the Changing of the Guard in London -- Nope
77. Drive a race car -- Nope! Race car driving + me = a recipe for disaster!!
78. Ride on a speeding motorcycle -- Yes, I actually drove one as a teenager. Oh, wait...you said speeding...that would be NO!
79. See the Grand Canyon in person -- Nope
80. Publish a book -- Nope but I've written several children's books and can no longer find them. We have a lot of junk in our house!
81. Visit the Vatican -- Nope
82. Buy a brand new car -- Nope. The only car I ever bought was a piece of cwap Gremlin...straight shift and no air conditioner or stereo. It did have an am radio. Yeah, the joy I felt in being a new car owner didn't last long.
83. Walk in Jerusalem -- Nope
84. Have your picture in the newspaper -- Yes...me, my chihuahua Jose and a whole buncha trolls! Musta been a reeeaaaall slow new day.
85. Read the entire Bible -- Nope
86. Visit the White House -- Nope
87. Kill and prepare an animal for eating -- Euwwww, not on your life!! I don't even like eating meat that much, I'm certainly not gonna kill something and eat it.
88. Hike the Appalachian Trail -- Nope
89. Save someone's life -- Yes!
90. Sit on a jury -- Nope
91. Meet someone famous -- Yes, Morgan Freeman
92. Join a book club --Yes, I belong to 3 now and have a ton of wonderful books I've gotten from them!
93. Own an iPod -- Yes, hard to believe isn't it?!
94. Have a Facebook page -- Yes, indeed I do.
95. See the Alamo in person -- Nope
96. Swim in the Great Salt Lake -- Nope
97. Cross country snow ski -- Nope
98. Hold a snake -- Yes
99. See DaVinci’s Starry Night in person -- Nope
100. Read an entire book in one day -- Yes, I am an avid reader! I've averaged somewhere between 3 and 5 books a week since I was a child. The day I don't read will be the day I'm in a coma or dead...I even read while I was in labor. I actually left my book in the delivery room!

If any of you should be inspired to answer these questions, copy and paste this into the comments section of this blog or into your own and change my answers to your own and let me know...I'd love to read your answers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

01. Start your own blog -- No
02. Sleep under the stars -- Many times in my youth.
03. Play in a band -- Not a real band. When I was a teenager, my cousin and I put on a record, wore our electric guitars, dressed and danced like Paul Revere and the Raiders. I'm sure it was very funny.
04. Visit Hawaii -- Yes! It was my life's dreamplace to visit.
05. Watch a meteor shower -- Yes, quite a few.
06. Give more than you can afford to charity -- Yes
07. Go to Disneyworld -- Yes
08. Climb a mountain -- No, but I've done a lot of hiking in the Smokies and the Rockies
09. Hold a praying mantis -- No
10. Sing a solo -- Yes, at my sister's house. I had just gotten back from Hawaii. I had a new ukulele. I sang "Pineapple Princess", and old Annette Funicello song.
11. Bungee jump -- No. I never want to do it either.
12. Visit Paris -- Yes, twice. I used to live 5 hours away.
13. Watch a lightning storm at sea -- Yes, multiple times
14. Teach yourself an art technique -- Yes
15. Adopt a child -- No
16. Eat sushi -- Yes, but it's not one of my favorite foods. I like my meat, fish, and poultry cooked.
17. Walk to the top of the Statue of Liberty -- No. I've never seen it.
18. Grow your own vegetables -- Yes, but I never was very good at it like my parents.
19. See the Mona Lisa in France --Yes, twice
20. Sleep on an overnight train -- No, but I travelled to my cousin's house in Mannheim for Christmas when I lived in Sembach, Ge
Oops! I accidently erased 21.
22. Hitch hike -- Yes, when I lived in Germany. We didn't have a car. I wouldn't do it again - although I didn't have any bad experiences.
23. Look at the rings of Saturn through a telescope -- No
24. Build a snow fort -- Yes, I helped once. We mostly built igloos of snow.
25. Hold a lamb -- Yes. I also held a baby alpaca.
26. Climb to the top of a lighthouse -- Maybe. I can't remember.
27. Run a Marathon -- No
28. Ride in a gondola in Venice -- No
29. See a total eclipse -- Yes
30. Watch a sunrise or sunset -- Yes, both - many times.
31. Hit a home run -- No
32. Go on a cruise -- No. Not my cup of tea.
33. See Niagara Falls in person -- No
34. Visit the birthplace of your ancestors -- No, but I want to go - Scotland
35. Visit an Amish community -- No
36. Teach yourself a new language -- Yes, I learned a lot (Hawaiian)(Deutch - German)
37. Have enough money to be truly satisfied -- Yes. We'd like to have a home of our own design, but we're happy without it.
38. See the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person -- No
39. Go rock climbing -- No - too dangerous!
40. See Michelangelo's David -- Yes
41. Sing karaoke in public -- Never!
42. See Old Faithful geyser erupt in person --No, but we're suppose to see it in July at Paul's family reunion.
43. Buy a stranger a meal at a restaurant -- I haven't. My Daddy found a man in a dumpster once when he was taking the garbage, and he took him to a restaurant and bought him a meal. My father was a true, compassionate Christian.
44. Visit Africa -- No
45. Walk on a beach by moonlight -- Yes, many times
46. Ride in a helicopter -- No
47. Have your portrait painted -- Yes.
48. Go deep sea fishing -- Yes, my family used to go deep sea fishing on our summer vacations in Florida.
49. See the Sistine Chapel in person --No
50. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris --Yes
51. Go scuba diving or snorkeling --Yes, many times.
52. Kiss in the rain -- Yes
53. Play in the mud -- Yes. I made mud pies when I was a little girl.
54. Watch a movie at a drive-in theater -- Yes55. Be in a movie -- Yes, I made a conceptual art piece that I starred in (ha!h!) during my college experience.
56. Visit the Great Wall of China -- No
57. Start a business -- Yes, I had a very small yarn shop for a short time.
58. Take a martial arts class -- Yes, I was part of a Tae Kwon Do class that my husband taught.
59. Visit Russia -- No
61. Sell Girl Scout cookies -- Yes, I was a real Girl Scout. I once sold 200 boxes and won a sleeping bag.
62. Go whale watching -- Yes, off the coast of Kauai.
63. Get or send flowers for no reason --Yes. Both
64. Donate blood, platelets or plasma -- No. I may someday though, if my blood is good enough.
65. Go sky diving -- No - too risky
66. Visit a Nazi Concentration Camp -- No, but I went to a German extermination camp, Dachau.
67. Adopt a pet from a rescue shelter -- Yes, Prissy - one of my favorite cats.
68. Pilot an airplane -- No
69. Save a favorite childhood toy -- Yes, I still have part of my little china tea set - even after Hurricane Katrina
70. Visit the Lincoln Memorial -- Yes
71. Eat Caviar -- No, thank you
72. Make a quilt -- Ye
73. Stand in Times Square -- No
74. Tour the Everglades -- Yes, when I was a child
75. Visit the Viet Nam Memorial -- No
76. See the Changing of the Guard in London -- Yes
77. Drive a race car -- No
78. Ride on a speeding motorcycle -- Yes, once. It was fun!
79. See the Grand Canyon in person -- No
80. Publish a book -- No
81. Visit the Vatican -- No
82. Buy a brand new car -- My husband and I did
83. Walk in Jerusalem -- No
84. Have your picture in the newspaper -- Yes. As a majorette with the rest of the marching band, and spinning at Pink Palace Craft Fair.
85. Read the entire Bible -- No...regretfully. I do study it.
86. Visit the White House -- Yes
87. Kill and prepare an animal for eating - Never!
88. Hike the Appalachian Trail -- No
89. Save someone's life -- No
90. Sit on a jury -- No
91. Meet someone famous -- Yes, Davy Jones, The Turtles, John Kay of Steppenwolf, Pat Boone, Tennessee Ernie Ford. I think there are more, but I can't remember.
92. Join a book club --No
93. Own an iPod -- No
94. Have a Facebook page -- No
95. See the Alamo in person -- Yes
96. Swim in the Great Salt Lake -- No
97. Cross country snow ski -- Yes, just a try on Sherri Garrett's skis. I have skiied downhill several times.
98. Hold a snake -- No, but I've touched one.
99. See DaVinci’s Starry Night - Did you say "DaVinci's" Starry Night? No one has. It was painted by Van Gogh.
100.Read a book in one day --No

mel said...

Good catch there, Connie, with #99!! You certainly have done a lot of stuff...you've lived a very full life! Thanks for taking the time to do this...I enjoyed reading about you!!

Sebastian said...

Awesome stuff! I enjoyed reading these. We need to come up with our own.

Nice catch on #99 Connie!

Anonymous said...

There's so much of this stuff that I want to do, and actually quite a bit of it that I have done! That's exciting! I hope that God provides us with the money to be able to do lots of these things with our children. I really enjoyed this, Melanie! From Shelley. Can't remember my password, so I'm going to be "anonymous"!